Friday, July 12, 2013

I Remember 20 Years Ago Today I Remembered 20 Years Ago

I remember it like it was yesterday that day 20 years ago. We had lunch at Tanner’s in Snellville. The ‘20 Years Ago Today’ line always made me think of the Beatles Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album. That line is in my head today like it was twenty years ago when she turned 20.

The she I am referring to is my daughter Rose. Rosalie Athalie Bigelow to be exact. Her middle name was my mother’s name. Her first name was chosen by her Mom who wanted her named after a rose bush we had. This rose bush was something special. I was in the Air Force when Rose was born and her mom and I lived in a trailer in Tucson, AZ. Trying to grow anything outside in Tucson is difficult let alone a rose bush but this one seemed to like it there. It was vandalized by a neighbor with an axe but even after being split in half, it kept blooming. It was because of it’s strength that Rose’s mom wanted Rose named after it. Rose is as strong as that rose bush.

I’m not going to go through Rosie’s entire life story. First of she would probably shoot me if I did but there just isn’t enough room in this blog to do that. I could write for weeks and not cover it all. I will cover some things though.

Early Years

I got custody of Rose a year or so after my divorce from Rose’s mom and after I got out of the Air Force, we moved to the Atlanta area. That was 1978 and we’ve been here ever since.

I remember getting Rose her first pair of glasses. I had noticed her squinting so I had her eyes checked and she needed glasses really bad. I wait way too long. So long in fact that when we got home that evening after getting her glasses she got out of the car and looked up at the night sky and stood there for several minutes and finally declared “Look at all the stars!”.  I can laugh about it now but I was mad at my self then for waiting so long.

In High School Rose was voted ‘Most Unique’. I can’t think of a more fitting honor for anyone of any age to be called. She is unique always has been, always will be.

Growing up and adult life

Rose always seemed to work. She got a job at the age of 15 at Po Folks waiting table and being a hostess. She was very good at both, She worked at Embers Seafood and Grill in Sandy Springs as a Hostess and exceled. While she worked there she sometimes had to fill in for the Chef and it was there she found her love for cooking. More on that later.

Rose worked in the corporate world for a period of time. She had a higher calling. She wanted to care for the homeless. She ran a homeless shelter in Atlanta that catered to the Family and worked to get people out the shelter and back to work. I remember Christmas parties at the shelter and the total respect that Rose was shown by the residents of the shelter. They loved her and she loved all of them.

The shelter is closed now but there are some people still around that Rosie still takes care of as she has moved on to her next endeavor, catering.

She is a very good cook and she cooks for lots of people. She likes to smoke large sums of meat. She is just getting this part of her career started but I have no doubt she will do well.

To Sum This All Up

It was 20 years ago today that I said it was 20 years ago today that Rosie came into my life and I thank God she did. She is my hero, and I am totally amazed at the shear number of lives she has touch in her short life. Thank you Rosie and Happy Birthday Sweetie!

4 comments:

  1. I love you Daddy! I'm soooooo thankful for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose has been in our lives for about 20 years and yes she is unique and yes she has touched many lives over the years and yes she can cook up a storm! She will do very well at whatever she puts her hands to. She was named very well. I love the quote, "Don't lament that the rose has thorns but rejoice that the thorns have a ROSE!"
    Love you Rosie and happy 40th! It just keeps getting better. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, she is very special to me. I am working on another blog about her and the shelter so stay tuned. I think it can be classified as a small miracle.

      Delete

Your comments are totally welcome so please comment away.